A dishwasher is a kitchen appliance for cleaning cutlery and dishware automatically. When it comes to manual dishwashing, you will need to physically scrub dishware or utensils to get rid of soiling. However, a dishwasher sprays hot water to remove grease and oils from the dishwasher. The fact that it uses hot water, it means you should not use it for delicate items.
OUR TOP PICK
- Dimensions: Depth - Door Shut (with Handle): 21.7" | Depth - Door Shut (without Handle): 20" | Depth With Door Open 90 Degrees: 29" | Dishwasher Size: 21" | Height - Maximum: 17.2" | Height - Minimum: 17.2" | Product Depth: 21.7" | Product Height: 17.2" | Product Width: 19.7" | Product Weight: 44.1 lb
- Six-place setting: the six-place setting capacity allows you to wash a variety of dishes (up to 10-inches in diameter) and includes folding down rack shelves and a cutlery basket
- Quick installation: Features a quick connect assembly with accessories and adapters included to easily connect directly to your faucet
- Seven washing programs: you'll get full size dishwasher cleaning in a countertop sized compact unit that offers seven wash programs - heavy, Normal, baby care, light, glass, Speed 45 min, self clean
- Extra-drying function: this feature adds extra heat to the final rinse to enhance drying results, but can only be used with the following programs - heavy, Normal, light, glass, baby care
If you feel a dishwasher is not for you, have a look at our guide and reviews of the best cookware set america’s test kitchen or best air fryer toaster oven amazon or best mini fridge with freezer for dorm room or best waffle maker amazon or best grill utensils set or best whole house water filter and softener combo for well water or best chef knife under 100 dollars.
Do you know that your dishwasher is more water-efficient than handwashing? The truth is that when you use a dishwasher, you will save a lot of water. That does not mean using any dishwasher will do the trick. Instead, you need to use the best dishwasher. When you know this, you cannot feel bad when running the machine next time.
Depending on the area you live, it may be smarter to run the dishwashers at night. There are some reasons to do so. You may find electricity to be quite cheaper when used at off-peak hours, and you will be adding humidity back into the kitchen.
Easy to Fix Stinky Dishwasher
Are your dishes or dishwasher looking streaky and dull? You can use white vinegar to fix the problem. The right thing to do here is to run a cup of white vinegar to restore the functionality and appearance of your dishwasher.
Needs to Be Cleaned Regularly
Although dishwashers clean cutlery and utensils, they do not clean themselves. Therefore, there is a need to clean your dishwasher on a regular basis if you want to last long. It is advisable to deep clean it at least twice a month. Thorough cleaning involves washing removable parts and cleaning through filters.
Use of Hard Water
When you use hard water in your home, it will result in the accumulation of minerals. Fortunately, there are solutions you can use to dissolve the salt deposits in your machine. You can do this when deep cleaning. Ensure you follow the manufacturer’s directions when cleaning it.
Cleans Variety of Things
Ideally, a dishwasher is a versatile machine that can wash a lot of things. It is quite useful when it comes to washing things that may be difficult to clean. There are many things you can put in the dishwasher other than dishes. For instance, you can clean baseball hats, flip-flops, hairbrushes, bottle brushes, sponge holders, refrigerator shelves, plastic toys, vent covers, and soap dishes.
Things Never to Put in a Dishwasher
Although there are many things that you can clean with your dishwasher, it does not mean it is free for everything. Remember that a dishwasher is a heavy-duty cleaning appliance and can destroy or damage items. Some of the things you should never put in your dishwasher include silver utensils, cast iron, crystal drinkware, wooden utensils, cooking knives, disposable aluminium items, copper pots, and pressure cooker lids.
Loading and Unloading Your Dishwasher
There is a recommended way of loading and unloading your dishwasher. You should note that each dishwasher has a unique method of loading and unloading, as suggested by the manufacturer. Conventionally, dish surfaces ought to face towards the center of the dishwasher.
That is because the sprayer arms work from there and face towards the middle to offer maximum spray. Moreover, you should not sort the silverware in the dishwasher. If you do so, all forks and spoons together, they will nest into each other.
Need a New Dishwasher
There are some signs that can tell you when you need a new dishwasher. The fact that dishes are coming out dirty does not mean you should get a new dishwasher. Some of the signs to look for include:
- You see rust
- Water is not draining
- Dishes are not hot even when the cleaning cycle is not finished
- The door is not latching properly
There are many reasons for using a dishwasher to clean your dishes and cutlery. It is safer as there is minimal handling of dishes as compared to handwashing. Also, less breakage means you will save a lot of money.
The Bottom Line
Placing dirty dishes in the dishwasher is quite convenient, and it helps to keep the counters and kitchen cleaner. Studies have also shown that dishwashers are more sanitary as they put dishes through a series of cycles and use hot water that disinfects them.