Kayaks are small and narrow watercraft boats that are usually propelled by the use of double-bladed paddles. Kayaks come in different sizes where some are designed for a single person use while others fit more than one person also refrred to as tendam kayaks.
OUR TOP PICK
- Comfortable for anyone: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- Dimensions: Inflated size 10 feet 3 x 3 feet x 1 feet 8 inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Directional stability: Removable SKEG for directional stability
- Increased visibility: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- Made for smaller bodies of water: Explorer k2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
What to look for when choosing a kayak
The following are crucial factors to consider when selecting a kayak
Where to use it
Unlike with other boats, one needs to be extra careful when selecting a kayak based on the areas to use it. The major areas that people like to kayak include in lakes, flowing rivers, oceans, and even river lakes. Due to the nature of the kayak designs, you need to make sure that the kayak you choose is safe for that area. For example, if you want to kayak at the ocean, you should choose a kayak that can withstand high ocean tides and waves. If you need a compatible lake kayak, choose a kayak that can easily float on the top of the lake.
For those who need a kayak to use a flowing river, choose a sturdy kayak, have a high power of floating, and that you can easily turn around in case you need to go back.
The type of kayak
There are three major types of kayaks, which are the sit on top, sit in, and lastly, inflatable kayaks.
Sit-on kayaks are suitable for people who want to enjoy recreational water activities such as fishing. This is because these kayaks are designed with a seating area a bit raised from the floor. They are quite long to offer enough legroom and also come with multiple storage spaces.
Sit-in kayaks are similar to the sit on kayaks only that the sitting area is a bit lower. Half of the body is covered in such kayaks while seated. They are ideal for people who don’t want to come to contact with wetness while kayaking. They also fit areas that frequent tourists and comes with a foot peddle too.
Inflatable kayaks are ideal for people who enjoy kayaking occasionally. These kayaks are mainly recommended for use in shallow areas as they are relatively light in weight and thus can easily be carried by heavy tides or waters.
Do you need a fishing kayak, a kayak that you can exercise with while in waters, or just a simple recreational kayak? The kind of experience you want to achieve with the kayak will influence your needs. For example, if you need a kayak to fish with, you ought to choose a large kayak that is stable and easy to control as well.
Kayaks come in different sizes where some are designed for a single person fit while others can fit up to four people. Therefore, if you need a kayak that you can use with your family or friends, check out the number of people it can accommodate.
The kayak accessories
Kayaks are equipped with different accessories that vary from drift anchor, storage bags, the straps, and even pumps ideal for inflatable kayaks. So, choose a kayak that has all the accessories you will require while in the water.
Types of kayaks
- Sit on a kayak
This is a kayak designed in a way that the user sits on the top area. You are bound to get wet or remain wet for the rest of the kayaking time, as this design does not prevent you from water splashes. This type of kayak is ideal for areas with warm tropical waters.
- Upgraded Features: Additional storage in this kayak includes a front storage platform and a tank well both equipped with bungee cords. The EXOSHELL 13 L removable storage compartment included with this kayak allows you to pack everything up at home and just drop it into the tank well when you hit the water. It's also equipped with molded footrests a bottle holder and two paddle tie-downs to keep your hands free when necessary. It's also ideal for bringing your pet on board!
- Stable: The twin-arched multi-chine hull offers excellent stability giving you a secure and steady ride. It also makes it incredibly easy to get in and out of the kayak.
- Safe: Our unique manufacturing process allows us to include additional flotation inside the hull of all of our sit-on-tops in order to meet or surpass ABYC standards. Holds a maximum capacity of 275 lb. Don't worry, the added scupper holes at the bottom of the kayak are completely safe and help drain any excess water that might get into your watercraft. Along with a flatter hull design, it ensures you peace of mind during your ride.
- Comfortable: Paddle in comfort with the adjustable ERGOLOUNGE seating system. It provides extra-thick cushioning and an extra high and wide padded backrest.
- Lightweight: Our kayaks being made with exceptionally durable high molecular density polyethylene, less material is needed to produce each boat. At 9 ft 6 in, and weighing only 42 lb, it makes the perfect kayak for those looking for easy storage and transportation.
- Getting in and out of this type of kayak is relatively straightforward.
- The kayak does not restrict one from doing other activities like yoga.
- Sit in a kayak
If you need a kayak that will protect your body from getting to contact with wetness, sit-in kayak is the perfect option. This type of kayak ensures to keep the lower body parts free from the water splashes. This type of kayak works best in areas with cold waters.
- Performance: The deep V-chine hull and 12-foot-long design increases secondary stability and offers better tracking so choppy conditions won’t be a problem. It also provides better responsiveness to shifts in body weight and position. Each stroke will be maximized for a better return on effort.
- Comfortable: The adjustable ERGOFLEX G2 seating system is thoughtfully designed to provide you with extra back support and offers a more breathable cushion to help you stay comfortable.
- Safe: This performance kayak comes equipped with a stern bulkhead for extra floatation and to ensure you're able to bail out water and get back in to continue your adventure. Added foam blocks on each side of the kayak also provide safety and peace of mind during your ride. This kayak can hold a maximum weight capacity of 300 lb.
- Lightweight: Made of an exceptionally durable high molecular weight polyethylene, our kayaks require less materials to be built. At 10 ft and weighing only 41 lb, this sit-in kayak is easy to transport, carry and store.
- The kayak ensures you remain warm while on the water.
- The kayak protects your body from coming to contact with wetness.
- Crossover kayaks
These types of kayaks are ideal for people who like to experience water recreational activities in different waters. They have advanced features and designs such that you can use them when fishing, and even running the whitewater.
- Upgraded Features: Additional storage in this kayak includes a front hatch with bungee cord and a rear tank well with mesh deck cover to give you plenty of space to store your personal items. Features also include a cockpit table with compartments and a bottle holder as well as molded footrests for your comfort.
- Stable: The shallow V-chine hull offers better manoeuverability and tracking while giving you increased secondary stability. This kayak is made for the recreational paddler looking for better performance.
- Safe: Added floating blocks on each side of the kayak along with a flatter hull type ensures you safety and peace of mind during your ride. Holds a maximum capacity of 275 lb.
- Comfortable: Paddle in comfort with an adjustable ERGOFORM padded backrest with ERGOBASE seat cushion.
- The ERGOFORM Seating System includes a padded seat cushion and an adjustable padded backrest cushion providing better support
- These kayaks can be used in different waters.
- Inflatable kayaks
The majority of the inflatable kayaks are recommended for recreational water activities, although there are brands that work for white waters. They come with a pump for inflating them and can be deflated for easy storage or carrying around.
- Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core: Light weight and highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight
- High pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability, with high pressure spring loaded valves for easy inflation and fast deflation
- Includes 2 removable skegs for deep and shallow water, 2 floor mounted footrests, 2 integrated recessed fishing rod holders, 2 adjustable bucket seats
- Removable and adjustable mounting bracket for additional accessories, such as GPS systems, fish finders, swivel fishing rod holders etc. Includes a carry bag and repair patch
- Storage space in bow and Stern with stainless steel d rings for tying down Dry bags and gear; Kayak total weight capacity: 400 pounds
- They are easy to store and carry since they can fold to a smaller size.
- They are stable and easy to carry around.
- Whitewater kayaks
- 1 PERSON KAYAK: The Driftsun Rover 120 single rider kayak features a front & rear rocker profile, so you can maneuver & navigate through calm or rough water with less tracking. The foldable kayak inflates fully in 9 mins & seats 1 adult (300lbs max)
- WHAT’S IN THE BAG: Rover 120 inflatable kayak, adjustable EVA padded seat, adjustable aluminum kayak paddle, double action inflation hand pump, removable tracking fin & a spacious travel backpack for all included kayaking equipment
- ULTIMATE COMFORT: Constructed with reinforced double layered PVC, this enables the 1person kayak to handle obsticles in rough waterways without puncturing. The high-pressure dropstitch floor boosts stability & extremely sturdy
- ADVENTURE READY: Driftsun folding kayak will deliver unmatched stability in rough water compaired to low-pressure foldable kayaks for adults. It can handle class III & IV rapids with speed & control. Features 8 self-bailing ports, ample tie-down points & front action camera mount
- SIT IN TANDEM KAYAK SPECS: Exterior: 8.5’(L) x 36”(W) x 13”(H) / Weight: 22 Lbs. / Capacity: 300 Lbs. / Inflation Pressure: 3 PSI (side tubes) & 6 PSI (floor)
These kayaks are ideal for professional kayakers who can maneuver and control its movement on fast-moving waters. These types of kayaks are designed in larger sizes as the length range from 7 to 10 ft long. They are further classified into two categories, which are the playboats and the creakboats.
- Playboat whitewater kayaks
- 5-minute setup lets you spend more time on the water
- Easy-to-carry backpack system turns into the seat
- 21-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- Tarpaulin bottom provides durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
They are smaller in length and fit best in areas that are steep and have fast-flowing waters.
They are relatively more spacious and suitable for use in narrow regions with low water flows.
- Nimble, durable kayak is made of durable welded material with eye catching graphics for added safety on the lake or slow moving river
- Cockpit is designed for comfort and maximized space, and inflatable I beam floors add stability. Removable skeg provides exceptional directional movement
- Cargo net to store extra gear, and grab line on both ends of kayak; inflatable seat with backrest
- Comes with 84 inch aluminum oar, repair patch and Hi output manual hand pump; Rugged vinyl construction
- Measures 108 by 13 by 30 inches (W x H x D), with 27.2 pound weight and 220 pound maximum capacity
- These kayaks are quite durable.
- Some brands (playboat) work great in areas with fast-moving waters.
These kayaks are designed specifically for fishers. They have all the kayak accessories required by a fisherman. For example, they consist of a pole holder, flatter hull ideal for stability, and peddle water wheel for enabling you to focus on fishing while the kayak floats or moves in the water.
- Pedal-driven performance at an unbelievable price - Made in USA
- Lawn chair style mesh seat with 2-level seat adjustment and breathable mesh for ultimate all-day comfort and no pain
- Pilot drive pedal system can be fully recessed into hull for zero draft
- Leak-proof one-piece construction with built-in buoyancy for added safety
- Large front and rear open storage for cooler, tackle, and other gear
- They are relatively light in weight for comfortable transportation.
- They have storage spaces where you can keep your fish after catching.
The Bottom Line
Kayak is a great water gadget for people who enjoy fishing or carrying out recreational water activities. They come in different types and designs for customers to choose from depending on their needs and uses. So, if you are planning to buy the right kayak for summer or winter use, the above are the available types of kayaks on the market. Follow the above buying guide to help you choose the right kayak for your water activities.